Sunday, September 15, 2013

Pulpit Harbor, North Haven

Indian Island

This is the island we pass leaving Rockport Harbor.

We crossed the bay pretty quickly in the tin work boat and poked around Pulpit Harbor for a while.
Here is a bait barge.


 osprey nest and an osprey


Charlie and I started to talk about living on a boat once the kids are grown.  He frequently imagines life on a boat.  About 90% of his life revolves around boats.  


You can see the hills where we live in the background.
We saw whales and seals in the evening yesterday.  I got excited when I saw a spout of water and air shoot up from a minke blow hole.
There were harbor seals fishing for mackerel.  
More sharks have been around this summer but I didn't see any last night.
I didn't swim.
I didn't see porpoise either.
Lots of osprey.
There was a guy on a boat in Pulpit Harbor playing a concertina; Charlie stopped to talk with him.  I think that's what started our talk about living on a boat when the kids are grown.
Charlie said he'll get a concertina and a jack russell.  
I'll have to start paying more attention during boat driving lessons.  





Maybe I'll get the concertina for Charlie this Christmas, along with the carpenter's kilt.


Moving up under the bridge at Pulpit.


I would love to live on an island for a while.  I've always lived in cities or right in the middle of town.  I think I would enjoy the quiet on some of the islands around here.
A friend of mine moved to an island years ago.  Islands can be tough sometimes.  She hated it.  The fisherman are very territorial.  Her husband came from Port Clyde to fish on one of the islands.  The first chance the guys on the island got, they burned my friend's house to the ground.
They moved back to Port Clyde.
Charlie and I wouldn't try to fish.
He'd do carpenter and boat work and I'd ... I don't know ... grow flowers and read to the blind.


This is Beech Hill.  Last weekend I took pictures of our walk up to the stone house at the top of the hill.  This picture was taken while Charlie was racing us back across the bay to get home for dinner.  The waves, the wind and me keeping an eye out for whales made my photography skills a little poor, but this is the hill seen from the bay; that's the stone house with the sod roof up there.

It was a nice three hour vacation.






2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by your mention of Pulpit Harbor and North Haven. My daughter is the performing arts teacher at Vinalhaven, so my wife and I have been visiting there recently. We've talked about getting to North Haven, too. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful; most of my time there has been spent on and in the water. It's right across the bay from me. I admire the wind turbines from here and like to see the red lights at night. I know those up close to them don't enjoy them quite as much.
    Performing arts teacher at Vinalhaven sounds like a great job.

    ReplyDelete