Thursday, September 19, 2013

brain in my phone

The days aren't going to stay bright and sunny,
but for now it's all golden.
These were taken during the morning walk today.  That's Curtis Island out there with the little light house.  Eagles nest out there.  Fiona and Sunny were chased by a mother goose on the island when they were little.  Once, the tide took the skiff while we were on the light house side of the island playing wiffle ball and then Charlie had to swim out naked to retrieve the boat.  Sam ran and hid Charlie's clothes behind a rock and the kids laughed and screamed with horror-delight and I took about 50 pictures.  I will be a good girl and keep those away from the blog.  



                                                 Secret path that isn't so secret anymore.
Imagine a chipmunk peaking from the rocks.  That's what I see when I walk, but I leave them alone and don't try to photograph them with my phone.  That would be rude.
Poor little chipmunks with iPhones shoved in their faces.
I did the Apple update last night and now feel like I can not relate to my phone, which is sort of like my brain extension.  All of a sudden we have to get to know each other again.
We live up here in Maine.  We're out on the water, in the woods, on the islands, fixing our own houses, growing a lot of our own food .... but we are TOTALLY tied to our devices.  
I'm going to watch how the five of us (Charlie - 45, me - 41, Sunny - 13, Fiona - 12, and Sam - 11) use our devices as extensions of ourselves/ our brains this weekend.



When I got home from the walk I cleaned out more of the garden.  Some calendula plants needed to be removed and a lot of dead heading needed to be done.  I have this kale I'll pick when Phoebe and Ty come for dinner on Sunday.  I needed to be outside, puttering.
Gross.  Is that a worm down there with the kale stems?

I don't know if you're going to read that link I attached above, but I do use my phone as an extension of my brain.  It's always with me.  However, I love to read books best of all.  I don't like jumping from link to link.  I need quiet time.
I don't like it that my email comes through on the screen while I'm writing this sentence.  It's distracting.  I used to be in a drawing group and we would go out and draw for three hours (often outside) every Saturday morning.  I loved it.  Outside , just the paper and pencils ... or chalks.  It felt like island-time.  I felt tired after the three hours but like myself.  I didn't feel fractured and frazzled.  Sometimes I feel fractured in the brain when I have to navigate around assignments given on line, when I have to interact with people I can't see except in a tiny picture square.  I feel like my vision is fuzzy and I'm in one of those dreams where I HAVE to get something done but I am blind ... or mute ... or the earth falls away under my feet. 
I love the freedom that comes with being able to work from my computer.  I love how many things are accessible to me that never would be without this technology ... but I feel physically fatigued by it sometimes and I feel like I am in a fun-house with those crazy mirrors that distort images and make you feel like you're not quite sure where you are in time and space.

There should be a pretty picture of purple morning glories here but it disappeared into the vacuum.

No comments:

Post a Comment