Friday, September 13, 2013

Am I blogging? (plus the BLOOM video)


Connective Thinking
The blogging recipe requires reading first, then thinking, then writing and linking, then publishing, and then reading some more.
- Will Richardson
Where posting ends and blogging begins...
Richardson's eight ways to think about connective thinking:

  1. Posting assignments. (Not blogging)
  2. Journaling, i.e. "This is what I did today." (Not blogging)
  3. Posting links. (Not blogging)
  4. Links with descriptive annotation, i.e., "This site is about..." (Not really blogging either,
    but getting close depending on the depth of the description)
  5. Links with analysis that gets into the meaning of the content being linked. (A simple form
    of blogging)
  6. Reflective, metacognitive writing on practice without links. (Complex writing, but simple
    blogging, I think. Commenting would probably fall in here somewhere.)
  7. Links with analysis and synthesis that articulate a deeper understanding or relationship to
    the content being linked and written with potential audience response in mind. (Real
    blogging)
  8. Extended analysis and synthesis over a longer period of time that builds on previous
    posts, links, and comments. (Complex blogging).
Richardson, W. (2006). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful Web tools for classrooms (p. 32) Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press. 


Here is what I think about after reading stuff like what you find above:

1. I want to make my own maps.
2. I want to have readers but not anyone I know in real life; it would be great if everyone in the whole country of Serbia, for instance, would read this blog.  I'd like to know about how things are going in Serbia.
3.  After I get worn out from making the maps  (I'll draw and label my own plus I'll search for other interesting maps, kooky maps, maps like the ones immigrants with dementia draw for their artist daughters)  I'd like to start a series of stories, with illustrations.  If only someone would comment, she (or he) could suggest a topic, a character, a theme.  I used to sit with my friend,  Matt Levine, in the back of a warehouse in San Francisco and write "speed stories."  We were supposed to be working on a terrible film but we spent a good chunk of time huddled on the floor writing and competing for the sake of our own entertainment.  The work was not entertaining.  He finally left and went to law school.
4. I don't know if I'm blogging according to Will Richardson.




And here is a video from Cape Cod, just because a post without some kind of image is oppressive.


2 comments:

  1. New to blogging. I find Will Richardson’s recipe for blogging instructive, but daunting. I don’t think I’ll ever move beyond number four and that’s not even blogging. Your list made me smile, especially number two, because I feel exactly the same way. “I want to have readers but not anyone I know in real life.” As I scroll, reading your poems and watching your videos, (how can I get an invite to the A cappella sing-along and yes, Charlie is a great guy, appreciating a beetle, that speaks volumes), I’m thinking, we’ve only been in this course a week, and man alive, Susan’s been busy, but then I notice that you’ve been at this for awhile. I love all the photos, videos, sidebar info. I now have a good example of what I want my blog to look like: inviting and fun. Thanks, ps. how do you wash a skirt with rabbits sewn on them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Patti! Yes, I started putting this together last spring. For the longest time I couldn't even decide on things like backgrounds and colors. It felt like rearranging furniture in the house until it got that livable feel.

    It's fun now. I've always done these little things like a drawing a day, even if it's quick and very very bad. It keeps me disciplined ... and it makes it easier to start bigger projects when I'm (sort of) working every day. So now I'll post the drawing or poem on the blog. And of course, I'll stick in the videos, thoughts, photos and bits about teaching. It's all still evolving.

    I'm going to make a post about the rabbit skirt.

    Next week we have to create hypertext. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete