Friday, July 5, 2013

The Day After

We swam on the ocean side of the beach but I don't have any pictures because I was too busy having a double sided beach experience.  Five years ago this is where I broke my nose and banged up my whole face pretty badly in a BiG wave adventure.  This year Sunny and I swam, again, too close to the 5 and 600 pound seals that the Great White sharks feed on.  I turned and saw two large seals very close to us.  Immediately I steered our swimming toward shore where I could see Charlie pointing and walking quickly toward us into the water.  He wanted us out.  Sam and Fiona had been messing around close to shore in some kind of game that involved "dislocating your butt."  It all worked out; we had fun, played in the nice cold waves and did not get tangled up with seals OR sharks.
However, something happened to me that had never happened before in my 41 years.  I burned my feet running on the hot sand over to the lagoon side of the beach.  It's not a
short run.  I loaned my flip flops to Fiona so I was barefoot.  When I was running I had a thought (clearly thinking at all was a mistake) that the yogis walk on burning coals and they're fine; it's all in my mind.  I am fine, I will be fine, I don't feel any pain, pain is just a part of life .... And then I got to the other side and cleaned my feet off in the bath water warm lagoon, looked at the bottoms of my feet and discovered big blisters on the underside of every toe.  
I did not complain.  However Charlie was irritated with me because I should have been wearing my flip flops.
It took most of the afternoon but I think he got over it.  
And like when I broke my nose, there was no opportunity for first aid.  I just kept moving the best that I could, being far away on a beach we had to take a long boat ride to get to.
Poor Sam got a sun burn on his back.
I drew some pen and inks while I sat.  
I had a great time in the cold water waves.
And I am definitely not a yogi.  I burned and burned.  But I wasn't bothered by the pain.  
Burned feet are easier for me than tense boat captains. 
He means well.  He doesn't like it when any of us get injured, and although he can be very helpful, we (particularly Sunny and I) pick up
on the tense mood.  Fiona and Sam usually continue to push the limits, unbothered by the moods of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment