Wednesday, October 23, 2013

movie night, books, school


We had game night with my parents last night.  It's fun ... and it's also a way to keep Fiona from disappearing off into the world of texting.  Now it's time to plan for movie night.
I think it will be Amarcord by Fellini.  I miss the theater downtown.  Maybe I'll organize a winter film series right here.  Just films, no potluck.  Eat an early dinner at home, people, then we'll eat cookies, drink tea and watch movies this winter.

Book update:  Just finished Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man and am starting Light in August by Faulkner;  these books are for a junior.
Am trying out drawing and writing with a 7th grade boy who struggles to form clear sentences.  He draws an object, or small still life, then writes a physical description of just what he drew.  It grounds him.  Then we move on to fiction.  It seems to be helping.
I also, just for fun, started reading a book about island schools: Island Schoolhouse: One Room For All, by Eva Murray.
I am drawn to school experiences far from the institution, --the bells, big, crowded hallways and segregated age groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment