Friday, October 4, 2013

farm, food, garden plans


Fridays are farm days.  We go to pick up our half share out in Hope.  We're CSA members.  CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  We buy our food directly from the farmer.  Farmer Tom, in this case.  I'm not sure it's the best plan for me.  I end up with eggplant and celery root ... and a ton of onions and tomatoes, which I don't eat.  It's a great idea and it works for a lot of people.  I spend half my time finding people to give the food away to, which isn't all bad but some of it goes to waste.  I eat specific things, and I'm not a big night shade girl and I avoid onions and garlic like the plague.  It works better for me to be a member at the food co-op in Rockland.  I work an hour and a half each month, usually restocking bulk spices (which I love) and then I get my membership and 15% off everything I buy.  They have local food there and I can buy just what I want and what I'll use.  I guess it's better for the farmer to cut the middle man out, but I don't think I'm going to sign up for the CSA next year.  Usually I sign up in March and pay close to $400 for vegetables that start coming in late June and keep coming until early November.  And what I get from week to week is exactly what's ripe here right then -- nothing exotic like an avocado.  It's a great way to truly eat local food and just local food.  If you like Swiss Chard and fennel it's the way to go!
I love kale.  Next year I'm also going to plan very carefully for the food I want to grow myself.  I did pretty well this year but I need to plant more cilantro, calendula, and greens (other than kale).  Also carrots! 


There's the mysterious celery root off in the dark, left corner of my basket.  I draw the celery root and eggplant.  Then my mother eats them.


Peppers!  I'm pretty firmly against peppers.  I inherited that from my grandmother.
I could live on Ashwaganda powder, turmeric, hemp milk, rice, spirulina, seeds (all kinds), coconut oil, KALE, berries, and dark chocolate.  No problem.


That's broccoli off in the dark green row.  Dad couldn't go to the farm because he's been sick all week.  He won't go to the doctor.  He's terrified of being put back into the hospital after spending all last winter recovering (or not recovering) from surgery.  He says he has pancreatic cancer.
I don't know what he's got.
He's got something.
He probably needs some celery root.


Spent sunflowers.  They look nice there, all brown and used up.  The bees are still buzzing all around the flower garden.  The flowers are my favorite part.  I would sign up for a flower CSA.
Next week I'll be in Cape Cod.
And I will have dropped off all my work for the show.
I've been hustling around getting everything done, like finding sheet metal and writing out mismatched lines of haiku and gluing, mounting, and waking up in the middle of the night with last minute ideas.

Thursday night yoga was great.  It's a secret little class with barely any asana.  It's assumed that we can all take care of the asana ourselves.  I'm so thankful; it's perfect.  It's funny.  The location is unmarked but it's within whistling distance from the mast steppers and yachtsmen.  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment