Saturday, October 5, 2013

Fernald's Neck, deer ticks


                                                                            Milkweed


                                                          Seen any monarchs lately?


Sunny is learning the Tango at school.  She tried her best to teach Fiona to Tango yesterday ... but Fiona is not a serious student.  Not at all.


We walked all over the place in the woods, talking about the games we used to play when they were little, like Peter Chinner; this was a game we played at Balance Rock where Charlie would chase the kids and they would scream.  It was not a complex game.  The girls and I used to build fairy houses on top of the cliff where the lichen grows like a big, grey bed on the ground.



We also talked about Sunny getting picked to go to Japan with a group of students in April.  And we talked about kids in middle school trying drugs.  And kids taking screen shots "accidentally."
There's a lot to talk about and plenty of time to cover it all out in the woods.



So many large trees had fallen, blocking the trail, that we ended up way off the mark.  Luckily we've spent a lot of time in those woods and on the water in and around Fernald's Neck.  We pretended we were Russian poets trying to escape from the Bolsheviks.
I could hear Charlie's voice in my head telling me to get back to the trail, so I told the girls we had to find a blue marker on a tree.  That would mean we were safe in Switzerland.


                                              Charlie was off somewhere duck hunting.








It looks so pretty, but beware; there are deer ticks all over the place and I found one burrowing into my skin last night.





                                         I make the girls do a flat facial expression for me.
                                         They're good at it, and I like to paint and draw their faces like this.
                                         They're the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment