Friday, March 7, 2014

Dirt Road Rabbits

dirt road rabbits/ spying raspberries with wings/ messages from home/ beware/ waxy red poison ivy on the cape/ hot tempers too/ half-moon mask of vacation/ ankles swelling/ sharp words at breakfast/ take the shoe box of letters and postcards/ from old aunts/ into the July night/ and leave/ ask me/ again yes/ to go/ cliffs and clouds/ will go/ one white winter night/ in the midst of our Independence Day/ forgive me/ I burned my toes on Eastham sand/ when you said I ought to have been wearing shoes/ song of a poet/ on a towel/ dipping pens in red ink/ mind-flailing/ all the way from here to Provincetown/ mothy gloom/ in blazing sun/ miasma of seaweed and week-old crab/ legs/ going home now/ stars to lead my way/ nocturnal blackness/ moss on northern sides of trees/ coyotes wailing on ocean breezes/ dirt road rabbits dark/ eyes flashing/ as I disappear from vacation/ vacations/ and return home

No comments:

Post a Comment