Friday, June 21, 2013

pink bachelor button

This is the longest day of the year.
My grandparents were married 72 years ago today.  I took a skiff ride to Rockport with Charlie and Fiona 3 years ago.  Something had happened that I didn't know about yet but would soon find out.  What a summer that was.
I woke up with Fiona and Sunny in the house this morning.  In case you don't remember, Sunny is Charlie's daughter.  She's lanky and talented with funny accents.  At times, the girls are crabby and competitive with each other but mostly, if it's just the three of us, we are perfectly content.  We've had our own little private family for 7 years, just us girls.
That little group is definitely where I feel the most at home.
We each had things to do today though -- separate from each other.
I worked on my game, and finally saw this little pink bachelor button bloom on the back porch; I have been waiting for days.  I painted ferns on the center of my board game and wrote out a bunch of the cards, for instance: have children with your wife AND with one of your slaves.  Invent things and become president.  (That was one of about 50 cards.)
I also drove my dad out to Hope's Edge Farm to pick up our first 1/2 share of the season.  Today we got: chard, rhubarb, thyme, radishes, lettuce and chives.  I took some pictures of the lambs when I was there.  We had a nice time at the farm and chatted and also spent some time being perfectly quiet.
Now it's time to read and to write little poems in my book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment