Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Oh, Maira!

http://kalman.blogs.nytimes.com
I Love Maira Kalman.  The only blog I ever read was hers up until this Spring, so I really missed the boat on what most blogs were like.  I actually read her blog once it was made into a book, The Principles of Uncertainty.  
The painting above is of her in her studio, by her -- probably in gauche.
She paints and illustrates books.  She writes too and does not seem heavily concerned with doing things the way others expect things to be done.  Thank goodness.
Her text often appears right on top of the paintings, which seems nice, especially in her lovely handwriting.
She seems old fashioned to me, with her paints and her love of walking around cities, with the stories she tells about life and love and family ... and humanity.  But then it all shows up on a blog.
Lucky me.
Lucky you.
Her paintings and meandering thoughts are the cure for tough days in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment